An Honest to God DJ Stands to His Post
And what a post it is, I have been assigned the 6am to 9am Monday morning slot as my first official yeah that’s mine radio time. I am thrilled more than it is generally considered cool to be thrilled. I am also deeply relieved not to have taken one of the traditional first-timer 3am to 6am slots.
That time means:
- I’m in the anchor position for the week, at least according to the many cultures which posit Monday rather than Sunday as the first day of the calendar week.
- I can’t play songs with cuss words, cause you can’t do that except 11pm to 6am. Tricky.
- I probably shouldn’t play too much hard driving rock. So easy on the Danko Jones and stuff. Monday mornings probably isn’t when people most want to hear that stuff. I’ll deal with that the same way I deal with being a vegetarian who enjoys meat. Occasionally, I eat meat.
- I’m the warm-up man for Sue “Blastoff” Dise, looong time veteran DJ who I really liked training with, and who does one of my favourite shows 9 to 12 Monday mornings. That could be fun.
- Less partying Sunday night.
- A bit sleepy in my Monday afternoon Evolutionary Dynamics math class. And no doing the homework for the week Monday morning.
It doesn’t seem to be the custom at WCBN to have a name for your show, not as much as at other stations. But I like that bit of schtick. After all, different DJs have very different vibes and it’s good as a listener to be able to differentiate and predict. So I should pick a name. What’s good?
Maybe Hugonaut in the Morning (remember “Chris in the Morning”?).
Maybe Hangover Alley, or something else celebrating the start of the non-weekend.
Maybe Gunfire And A Little Music, after that Edward Abbey funeral quote I came across on my show last week. Don’t know yet. Suggestions appreciated. And requests. Oh yeah.